Here are the 5 tips to help you control the portions of food you eat:
- Eat slowly. When you eat too fast, your brain doesn’t get the signal that you’re full until it’s too late and you’ve already overeaten.
- See what you eat. Don’t eat directly from a container. Seeing food on a plate or in a bowl gives you a better sense of portion size.
- Focus on your food. Watching television, reading or working while you eat distracts you. Before you know it, you’ve eaten more than you want to.
- Serve smaller amounts. Take slightly less than what you think you’ll eat. Using a smaller plate or bowl makes less food seem like more.
- Don’t feel obligated to clean your plate. Stop eating as soon as you feel satisfied. Those extra bites of food that you’re trying not to waste add unneeded calories. But better yet, take smaller portions to begin with so you don’t waste food.
Source: The Mayo Clinic